Recipes » Vegetable soup
Vegetable soup I came up with one day with what I had in my pantry. Pretty glutamate-y without the meat (technically vegan), and full of a bunch of different colours.
Author: Seth Price
Date published: 29 March 2020
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: About 3–5 bowls
- 1 waxy potato, cut into rough 1cm pieces
- ½ white onion, sliced into thin semicircular rings
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into rough 1cm pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into rough 1cm pieces, leaves reserved
- A couple handfuls or so of kale, torn into small pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Healthy glug of white wine, or small dash of rice vinegar
- A bit of fresh cilantro leaves
- Glug of olive oil
- Handful of frozen peas
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring some water to a boil in a sufficiently sized pot or large saucepan. Use less than you think you will ultimately need; you can always add water later, but you can’t remove it (without resorting to mushy vegetables).
- Add onion, then carrot and celery (not leaves), then potato. Cook at a high simmer, stirring occasionally, till everything is almost soft but not mushy. Cover vessel with a lid during this step if too much water is escaping, or leave it open to reduce.
- Add kale and wine/vinegar and cook for just a minute or two to preserve its crisp.
- Remove from heat. Add peas, cilantro and celery leaves, olive oil, and garlic. Taste for seasoning. Let rest for a couple minutes for peas to cook.
- Serve with a warm slice of bread.