Recipes » Buttercream frosting
People keep asking how I make my buttercream frosting, so now I just redirect them here. Though the measurements are unusually precise for my type of recipe writing, I find the ratios of extracts crucial to the specific flavour to which I and several others have become accustomed.
Author: Seth Price
Date published: 04 Novermber 2017
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yield: Enough frosting for a 25cm two-layer cake
- 400g (3¼c) confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 200g (¾c) salted butter, softened by sitting at room temperature
- 50g (¼c) shortening, room temperature
- 50mL (3t) heavy cream, ± for texture
- 20mL (1⅔T) vanilla extract
- 3mL (⅔t) almond extract
- 1mL (⅛t) orange extract
Cream together butter and shortening with an electric mixer on low till somewhat fluffier in texture. Add sugar and further mix on low till incorporated. Add cream, little at a time, mixing on medium-low till smooth and free of lumps. Add vanilla, almond and orange extracts, mixing on medium-low till homogenous. Use promptly; cover and chill remainder.